A lot of you will be hitting the road this holiday season to visit family or maybe to escape the cold. If you have an opportunity, its great to visit another box to get your workout in, but this isn’t always a possibility depending on where you or going, or maybe time constraints. Coming back into the gym after taking a solid week or so off can be an uncomfortable and frustrating experience.
If you can’t make it in to a box, travel WODs are a great option to keep you fit and happy while away from home. First thing to keep in mind is not to worry about doing something crazy, use what you have, make a plan, and just move. There are a ton of movements that require absolutely no equipment if you are confined to a hotel room. If your hotel has a gym, utilize it! Usually they are equipped with dumbbells, and sometimes even kettle bells or bars.
Here are some tips for travel workouts:
- Don’t get caught up on not having any equipment. Get creative! Some examples of movements that require no equipment include: push-ups, air squats, burpees, bear crawls, running, tuck jumps, walking lunges, hand stand push-ups, frog ups, jumping squats, sit-ups, and I’m sure if you get creative the list can go on and on.
- Find a park. If you can make it to a park with monkey bars you can add pull-ups, toe-to bar, and some times even bar muscle ups. You can find a sturdy bench and do box jumps or step-ups.
- There is a lot of room for suck (the good kind) in those dinky hotel gyms. You can use the dumbbells or kettle bells for thrusters, cleans, shoulder to over head, snatches, weighted lunges, kettle bell swings, man-makers, and even Turkish get-ups.
- Keep your jump rope in your bag! They are easy to pack, and we can all work on our double unders.
- If you have a buddy, team up and carry each other, or do partner back squats.
- Don’t be too critical of your workout, just try to move!
- Use the internet, google “travel WODs”
Examples of WODs that require no equipment:
15 minute AMRAP:
30 seconds in a front leaning rest
15 jumping squats
Death by burpees:
With a continuous clock to one burpee for the first minute, two for the second, and so on, until you can no longer complete the reps for the minute period
Examples of park WODs, with no weights:
5 Rounds for time:
15 box- jumps
25 m bear crawl
12 minute EMOM:
7 Toes to bar
Examples of Hotel WODs with dumbbells:
4 Rounds for time:
8 Dumbbell snatches (each arm)
12 weighted lunges (6 each leg)
Run one lap around the building, or 400 m on the treadmill if it’s available
20 minute AMRAP:
10 dumbbell cleans